Who we are
Upcoming changes to practice schedule
Practice on Saturday April 6th is cancelled and rescheduled to Sunday at 6:30am
Swimmers who are interested in CPR training should sign up here by Saturday morning, September 8th, at the close of practice.
What we do
We have coached workouts at UB's Alumni Pool, and we enter Alumni Arena through the back door (on the side of the building which faces the stadium).
How you can join
- Show up for practice (map) and ask the coach for a two-week trial
- The coach will ask you about your swimming background and level and suggest a lane for you to try out. Your lanemates will be very helpful in providing additional information.
- If you like it, fill out the application form and pay the dues (see below for amounts)
- Join USMS — this is mandatory for all participants
- Subscribe to the team listserv by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following message, substituting your actual name for "First Name Last Name," obviously:
sub rai-nickelcity-list First Name Last Name
The e-mail account from which you send the above message will be the one which receives listserv messages from the team. If you have difficulty getting subscribed, or want to quit the list or change your e-mail address, please send e-mail to the web tyrant.
Normal practice schedule
- Tuesday and Thursday morning from 6:00 am to 7:15 am
- Saturday from 6:30 am to 8:00 am
but check your e-mail and this page for updates and cancellations!
Dues (structure effective October 1, 2012)
- Annual : $300.00 for 3-day-per-week option; $150 for 1-day-per-week option
- Single term (a term is four months) : $125 for 3-day-per-week option; $75 for 1-day-per-week option
UB Men's Swimming Captures MAC Championship
Here is an article on the great performance of the UB Men's Team at the MAC Championships. Men's Swimmers Claim First MAC Championship Crown
Upcoming NC Splash Related Events
Kris Beyer invites all team members to a fundraiser health fair and 5K run/walk to benefit Kids Escaping Drugs and Olmsted Center for Sight on May 21st. Prizes awarded both for walkers and runners. Application here.
Check out this footage of Mike and Rick in the last leg of their 100 meter fly event at RIT on Sunday, November 2nd. Great job!
Great Article on the Value of Swimming
Here is a hotlink to a brief but intriguing article about the value of swimming. It appeared in a recent issue of the AARP magazine. Check it out! [http://www.aarpmagazine.org/health/lap_it_up.html]
If you're doing Carly's Crossing, please post your URL to the Nickel City page on Facebook. Check out Jackie's fundraising page.