Upcoming changes to practice schedule
Swimmers can find instructions on parking for Saturday's practice June 28th here. The Ride for Roswell event is taking place that day on campus. Our compliance with the regulations will determine our ability to maintain our scheduled practices during future special events (hint!).
Where to park and enter (and where not to park) on Saturdays when UB has a home football game:
The team's spring meet has been canceled because of a conflict with the pool.
Who we are
What we do
We have coached workouts at UB's Alumni Pool, and we enter Alumni Arena through the back door (on the side of the building which faces the stadium).
How you can join
- Show up for practice (map) and ask the coach for a two-week trial
- The coach will ask you about your swimming background and level and suggest a lane for you to try out. Your lanemates will be very helpful in providing additional information.
- If you decide to join, fill out the application form and pay your dues online (see below for amounts).
- Join USMS — this is mandatory for all participants
- Subscribe to the team listserv by sending an e-mail to email@example.com with the following message, substituting your actual name for "First Name Last Name," obviously:
sub rai-nickelcity-list First Name Last Name
The e-mail account from which you send the above message will be the one which receives listserv messages from the team. If you have difficulty getting subscribed, or want to quit the list or change your e-mail address, please send e-mail to the web tyrant.
Normal practice schedule
- Tuesday and Thursday morning from 6:00 am to 7:15 am
- Saturday from 6:30 am to 8:00 am
but check your e-mail and this page for updates and cancellations!
Dues (structure effective October 1, 2013)
- Annual : $325.00 for 3-day-per-week option; $175 for 1-day-per-week option. Annual memberships are paid on October 1st.
- Single term (a term is four months) : $135 for 3-day-per-week option; $100 for 1-day-per-week option. Seasonal memberships are paid on September 1st, January 1st, and May 1st.
Swimmers who join the team will have their first dues payment pro-rated until the next annual or seasonal due date.
Upcoming NC Splash Related Events
The 2ndAnnual Ithaca LCM Swim Meet is July 13-14 at the new Ithaca College Athletic Facility. There are a number of NCS swimmers interested in the meet. Here is a link with additional information on the meet. 2nd Annual Ithaca LCM
Great Article on the Value of Swimming
Here is a hotlink to a brief but intriguing article about the value of swimming. It appeared in a recent issue of the AARP magazine. Check it out! [http://www.aarpmagazine.org/health/lap_it_up.html]
If you're doing Carly's Crossing, please post your URL to the Nickel City page on Facebook. Check out Jackie's fundraising page.